Today I completed my very first Pop-Up for my Macrame! I am both thrilled and exhausted. It was a beautiful day. I met so many vendors who offered advice and encouragement as a newbie. The Chicago craft community is simply wonderful. I even got a few orders for custom items.
It was really reassuring to see how positive people responded to my work and that's definitely given me the confidence to move forward and grow this into more than just my secret hobby!
A woman asked my what my brand name was and before I could even think, Urban Macrame Fibers came out.... Well I guess it's settled then....
I'm officially, Urban Macrame Fibers...
I needed a workspace for my Macrame. I haven't gotten to the point where #MacrameIsLife yet....but I'm sure it's coming. I like the openness of my living room and I often entertain so that left the bedroom. I had a open wall that wasn't hosting any pictures or furniture so I decided to go to Home Depo. I got some black plumbing pipe and some screws and shaazam! Work Station! This cost me about $36.00 to create. I'm super happy with it! It also goes with my rooms rustic feel!
Let me know if you want the exact name so of the items I bought!
One of the hardest things to figure out is when to just stop, when something isn't working, and you need to abandon ship.
I started this project as one of my first major pieces. Like all artists, I started with high hopes and aspirations as to what it would be. However, about 4 hours of work into it, I put down the rope and realized how much I hated it. Yes, that's right. I said hate and I mean hate. It was ugly, bulky, and awkward. My design had done this piece of beautiful driftwood a huge disservice.
As an artist, one would like to think that everything you made is beautiful, however I am my own most relentless critic. I'm constantly un-knotting and re-knotting rope. It's a daunting process but ultimately sometimes you just gotta get out of your own way and tell yourself something sucks.
I know you are asking WHY?! That looks....well, I felt it could be more or maybe that it should have been less.... The design path I was on did not leave any space for the rope or the driftwood to breathe. One of the things I really love about Macrame is that the rope takes you on a path, the patterns lead you to other patterns, and there is constant movement. This design was just too constricting.
8/9/16 Update: I finally did that driftwood service. I made "Balmoral".
Ever since Amy Zwinkel mentioned dye it's been in my head that I want to do it. I took a BRALETTE DYEING WORKSHOP and it was amazing. I learned the proper steps to dye cotton thus how to dye cotton rope! I am so excited to take my macrame to the next level with color.
The first color I picked to experiment with was a beautiful Teal.
Dyeing rope is a 5 step process:
1. Presoak rope and wring excess water
2. Prepare Dye ( just use the instructions)
3. Dye your rope! (Make sure to use gloves, trust me!)
4. Rise with cold water
5. Air Dry
Here are the results from my first attempt at dyeing rope!
Pro Tip: For these, I designed and created the macrame first and then dyed the rope. I placed plastic wrap over the areas I did not want to be dyed.